I always knew that I wanted to be a Dad - I think most every guy wonders what it will be like to be responsible for a little human being, and molding them into a person. However, when Heather and I were first starting our paperwork for adoption, I had to wonder, was I ready to be a dad?
When Amanda e-mailed us on April 27, 2011 and asked us if we were still looking to adopt, and when she e-mailed us the next day to tell us all about her, I started thinking that I was sure I was ready to be a dad.
On July 16, 2011, when the phone rang at 5:00 am, I knew that I was ready to be a dad. I was so ready for Lucas to come into the world, and I was ready to love him with all of my heart. That first night in the hospital I got to sing to him - I sang "I Am a Child of God". I knew that my new son had just come from the presence of the Father of us all. I felt so blessed that I was chosen to have this beautiful spirit be placed in my home. I knew that Lucas was meant to come to our family, and I was very excited to be his daddy.
I can honestly say that I have been able to put Lucas to sleep almost every single night since he was born (except for a few nights when I was traveling for work, or on scout campouts). I absolutely love cuddling with him as he quietly falls to sleep. Unfortunately in the past few weeks, he has decided he doesn't want to fall asleep in my arms, and would rather fall asleep in the crib. I love watching his personality grow.
The most special day so far in Lucas' 11 months here was on January 28, 2012, when he was sealed for time and all eternity to Heather and I. I am so grateful for eternal families, and I am so happy that Lucas is my eternal son.
Having said all of the above, Lucas is not yet 1 year old, and I still have to wonder, what kind of dad will I be? Will I be able to help Lucas become the man that I hope he will be? I can say that I am so happy that I will have the opportunity to find out - I ADORE BEING A DAD!

3 comments:
What a sweet post!
Oh my gosh this is going to make me cry! I love this so much and I know that Lucas is going to turn out to be such a wonderful person! Happy (late) Father's day to my baby daddy!! (hahaha i had to say it.... :P) love you guys!
So sweet!
Post a Comment